Time display on timeline hover

drewzarn

Time display on timeline hover

Post by drewzarn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Thank you for this awesome site - it makes listening so much easier.

I was wondering if you could implement a time display when hovering over the timeline, or the ability to enter an exact time. It can be tough to choose an exact time on there, to find a particular incident.

Also, I was wondering if you'd be willing to provide any details on the backend - I've always wanted to set something like this up, and I'm curious how you did it.

Thanks!

f0urtyfive
Site Admin

Re: Time display on timeline hover

Post by f0urtyfive » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Hey, thanks for the feedback, I'm not sure it'll ever get done, but I'll put it somewhere on the todo list!

As far as how it works, it's a series of Gnuradio applications that do channelization, demodulation, and decoding. The majority of the code is custom, although it makes use of some open source pieces (op25 for P25 demodulation/decoding, etc). There are some standards for different protocols out on the internet that you can find, some are available for purchase under NDA, and some are not available at all (but pieces of it can be pieced together using the internet and other existing applications, closed and open source). It has evolved over time from an application designed to run on a single computer capturing a single system with a few channels, to a distributed application that can run on multiple computers and capture dozens of systems and hundreds of simultaneous channels. Other than that, it mostly involves a LOT of reverse engineering, and a LOT of guess and check work, as some of the Trunked system types don't even follow their own specifications (or the specifications were written by crazy people in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and have naturally evolved since then).

Now a note to those that are reading this in the future: If you want to be able to run your own version of RadioCapture at your house at some point in the future, find the Patreon and put some money in it, any money that goes in there I'll use for paying the month-to-month costs, and getting freelancers to do software development and building a "home" version. Right now, it literally costs me more money to run it than it can/does make, so I have to keep my focus on my day job for now.

drewzarn

Post by drewzarn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Impressive - thank you for indulging me with details :)

Have you opened up the codebase at all to allow people to contribute updates? I'd be happy to take on something like the timeline tweak, or making the design more responsive for mobile devices.

f0urtyfive
Site Admin

Post by f0urtyfive » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:46 pm

If you're interested in that come shoot me a message on radiocapture.chat, I'll explain a little bit more of what I can't in here ;)